Listen up (said with a friendly, have a comfy seat tone!)… here are five questions to get you thinking about HOW you listen.
To me, active listening means more than paying attention. What we choose to pay attention to when we listen is just as important.
1. Are you listening for potential? If not – what is it you are listening for?
2. Are you planning your response while the other person is still talking?
3. Are you listening with more than just your ears – are you paying attention to non-verbal communication?
4. When someone is talking about something they are really passionate about, or feel strongly towards – how can you listen for more than just the facts – listen in a way that focuses on their values, and what matters to them. What does this person care about, and how can you help? After all, it feels wonderful to know that someone understands you.
5. How can you listen with a focus on the future, instead of hanging onto the past?